National Friendship Day encourages people across the country and world to connect with friends. Make a new friend or reconnect with an old one.
Friendships come in many forms, and we begin developing them when we’re very young. Throughout our lives, friendships and their meanings evolve. Our classmates and neighborhood pals explored the world with us. Together we shared experiences and made plans for the future. Eventually, paths diverge and new friends find a place in our social experience. Our world expands and our culture changes.
With each new friend, we expand our view of the world. Their experiences contribute to new meaning in our lives. Through friendships, we grow and broaden our horizons. Eventually, the world becomes smaller and more connected.
World Friendship Day is celebrated on July 30th when National Friendship Day is celebrated this year on August 1st. We will be celebrating all weekend long!
- It’s National Friendship Day
- Those who celebrate Friendship Day like to do so by exchanging small trinkets as gifts, like wristbands, flowers, or cards. This is a sweet way to acknowledge a friend by promoting a quiet gesture, rather than a grandiose display like that which may be seen on Valentine’s Day.
- The Beatles’ song “With a Little Help from My Friends” was released in 1967 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of International Friendship Day.
- In 1998, Winnie the Pooh was declared the official ambassador of Friendship Day by Nane Annan, the wife of Kofi Annan, who was the UN Secretary General at the time.
- Studies have shown that friends are a great form of stress relief. When a person has healthy friendships, they are less likely to succumb to illness and disease or, conversely, are more likely to heal faster when they do get sick.
Virtual backgrounds are one of the easiest ways to celebrate Friendship Day in our new virtual world. on July 30th, you can replace your normal backdrop with one of our premade Friendship backgrounds.
Right-click the image then save as to your computer. Open your Zoom application and update your background to the file you saved from this page.
How You Can Celebrate
- Make a gift for someone special. It could be anything ranging from a card, a bookmark, a bracelet, a cake, or anything that you like to make.
- Call a friend that you have been out of touch with. Call to rekindle and appreciate the relationship.
- Give a friend a hug
- Watch a movie about friendship
- Bend it Like Beckham (2002)
- Clueless (1995)
- Stand By Me (1986)
- Hidden Figures (2016)
- A League of Their Own (1992)
- Waiting to Exhale (1995)
- The Lord of the Rings (2001)
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)
- Pitch Perfect (2012)
- Sister Act (1992)
- The Breakfast Club (1985)
- Listen to songs about friendship
- I’ll Stand by You – The Pretenders
- I’ll be here – Carole King
- Friendship – Judy Garland
- You’ll Be in My Heart – Phil Collins
- You’ve Got a Friend in Me – Randy Newman
- With a Little Help from My Friends – Beatles
- Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler
- That’s What Friends Are For – Deniece Williams
- Stand By Me – Ben E. King
- I’ll Be there – Michael Jackson
- What is a good friend? Brainstorm to list on the board a bank of words about positive qualities that good friends should have. Read through the words with the students and ensure they know what each word means.
Social Media Prompt
Use your personal social media to show what friendship means to you. Take a picture, record a video, draw an illustration, or write down on a piece of paper how you participated in this friendship weekend don’t forget to tag @SpOlympicsMD.
If you do not have social media or do not feel comfortable posting on your social media complete the activity and share with a close friend or family member.