What’s Cooking with Athlete Leadership
April 6 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Special Olympics Maryland athlete leaders will host a monthly show where they will demonstrate one recipe live in the kitchen. The recipe and ingredients are below: Adobo Chicken Ingredients: · Small Onion – chopped into ¼ inch pieces · 1/3 cup (about 1 head) chopped garlic (yes, 1/3 cup!!!) · 6 Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken…
Special Olympics Maryland athlete leaders will host a monthly show where they will demonstrate one recipe live in the kitchen. The recipe and ingredients are below:
· Small Onion – chopped into ¼ inch pieces
· 1/3 cup (about 1 head) chopped garlic (yes, 1/3 cup!!!)
· 6 Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken THIGHS (no Breast)
· 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
· ¾ cup low sodium Soy Sauce or liquid aminos
· ½ cup rice vinegar (can use white vinegar)
· ½ cup Sake (can use water)
· 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce (can use ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire in a pinch but it isn’t as good!!)
· 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
· 1 Lime, zest and juice
· 4 Bay Leaves
· 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper (optional)
· 1/3 C Chopped Cilantro
· 1/3 C Chopped Green Onions
Cooked Rice to Serve with Chicken
1. In a bowl, mix the sauce ingredients with a whisk – soy sauce, vinegar, water, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest, bay leaves, and black pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
3. Place the chicken thighs, skin side down and don’t touch. Cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes or until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Chicken will not be fully cooked at this point. Remove chicken to a plate. You may need to pour off some of the extra oil that was released from the chicken skin.
4. To the same pan, add the diced onions and chopped garlic. Cook and stir on medium heat for 1-2 minutes until light brown and soft, stirring.
5. Add the sauce mixture to the pot, bring the sauce to a simmer.
6. Nestle the chicken thighs in the pot in the sauce, crispy skin side up. Use a large spoon to scoop up the sauce and pour it over the top of the thighs to smother them. Simmer for 20-25 minutes on low/medium heat, uncovered, until sauce thickens and turns into a thick syrup.
7. Serve over rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions.
Feeling socially isolated during the pandemic and just need to sit down and talk with friends? Well, with our newly implemented SOMD Coffee Chats to just relax and catch up with friends while drinking your favorite tea, cocoa, or coffee blend. Sign up for a time slot with SOMD staff members Jason, Maddi, Alexa, Mack,…
End of Week Meditation and Mindfulness The week is over and the weekend is about to begin. Take 15 minutes to unwind from everything that happened this week and get your head in a good space to enjoy your weekend.