What’s Cooking with Athlete Leadership?
February 2 at 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Special Olympics Maryland athlete leaders will host a monthly show where they will demonstrate one recipe live in the kitchen. The recipe and ingredients will be shared in advance of the show. Chili Lime Chicken Tacos (or Nachos) with Mango Salsa Yield: 4-6 Servings INGREDIENTS For the Mango Salsa: 1 cup frozen mango…
Special Olympics Maryland athlete leaders will host a monthly show where they will demonstrate one recipe live in the kitchen. The recipe and ingredients will be shared in advance of the show.
Chili Lime Chicken Tacos (or Nachos) with Mango Salsa
Yield: 4-6 Servings
For the Mango Salsa:
1 cup frozen mango slices, diced (can substitute frozen or canned peaches if you prefer)
15 grape tomatoes, halved
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, diced (optional. This is spicy, so if you don’t like that, leave it out or replace it with a milder pepper, like a Poblano or bell pepper.)
1 bunch scallions, sliced into rounds
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
juice of 1 lime (or 2 Tablespoons bottled lime juice)
½ – 1 teaspoon salt (optional, to taste)
For the Chicken:
Zest and juice of 2 limes (you can substitute 4 Tablespoons of bottled lime juice and 2 teaspoons of dried lime or lemon peel from the spice aisle)
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt (optional, to taste)
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional, to taste. This is spicy so leave it out if you don’t like heat, or replace with a milder spice like powdered Ancho chili!)
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon honey
Minced stems from cilantro, if desired
Shredded meat from one rotisserie or baked chicken (approximately 3 cups) (See notes below)
Water or chicken broth as needed to keep chicken moist during cooking (generally ½ to 1 cup)
For assembling the taco/nachos
Small Corn or flour tortillas or corn chips
1 can (rinsed) or 1 ½ cups white beans, warmed
Chopped fresh cilantro
Optional: sour cream or plain yogurt
Optional: crumbled cotija or queso fresco or shredded Monterrey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
Optional: Lime wedges
Optional: hot sauce
- Prepare Peach Salsa by tossing all of the ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Taste, and add extra lime juice or salt if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne (if using), liquid smoke and honey. Add chicken, and mix to coat the chicken with the spice mix.
- Warm in frying pan, adding water or chicken broth if needed to keep chicken moist.
- To serve as tacos: put a smear of sour cream down the center of a tortilla. Top with beans then chicken. Add a big scoop of Mango Salsa and a sprinkle of cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce on the side if desired.
- To serve as nachos: Spread corn chips over a platter. Spread chicken, then beans over the chips. Add toppings as desired, or set up a toppings bar so people can fix their own.
- A really easy way to get shredded chicken without the salt from a store-bought rotisserie chicken is to cook the chicken all day in a crockpot. High for 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours will give you chicken that is falling off the bone and perfect to shred. Give it 15 minutes to cool on a plate, peel off the skin, and then shred the meat with 2 forks.
- If you want, you can return the bones to the crockpot with the cooking juices, add ½ cup of white wine, 1 Tablespoon of thyme, 2 stalks of celery, a small onion (with paper skin, quartered) and 2 carrots (or about 10-15 baby carrots.) Fill the crockpot with water and cook it overnight on high (you can’t overcook bone broth in a crockpot!!) The next day strain the solids and let the stock cool. Once it is in the fridge, the fat will congeal on top and be easy to remove. Voila!! Low fat, low sodium homemade chicken bone broth.
Feeling socially isolated during the pandemic and just need to sit down and talk with friends? Well, with our newly implemented SOMD Coffee Chats to just relax and catch up with friends while drinking your favorite tea, cocoa, or coffee blend. Sign up for a time slot with SOMD staff members Jason, Maddi, Alexa, and…