National Running Day
Each year on the first Wednesday of June, people across the country participate in National Running Day. Whether you are new to running or have been running for years, today is a perfect day to go for a run! Whatever the distance, Special Olympics Maryland wants everyone to celebrate by placing one foot in front of the other and setting your pace!
Running is not only fun, it also improves your health in so many ways! Health Benefits of Running include:
- Better cardiovascular health (the health of the heart and blood vessels): Running is one of the best cardio exercises you can do. Running or jogging for at least 10 minutes a day can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, and lower your chances of dying from heart disease.Improves Brain Health- Apples keep your brain cells healthy
- Better sleep: Quality sleep is important for your health as your body repairs itself while you are sleeping.Strengthens Immune System-Vitamin C can also help keep your immune system strong
- Improved knee and back healthReduces the risk of Heart Disease and Stroke
- Improved memory: If you have memory problems, start running! Running gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat. This boosts the part of the brain that is responsible for memory and learning.Reduces the risk of cancer
- Improved immune system: Exercises like running can lower the chance of respiratory infections (infections of parts of the body involved in breathing, such as the sinuses, throat, airways or lungs) by 43%.Strengthens Bones
- Better mood and more energy: Running helps boost your mood, concentration, and overall quality of life.
Whether you run a few miles or just around the block, by yourself or with a friend or three, this is a perfect day to go for a run! Pace yourself and share your celebration with us using #SOMDNationalRunningDay to post on social media.
Virtual backgrounds are one of the easiest ways to spread awareness about National Running Day! On June 1st you can replace your normal backdrop with one below to encourage others run today in any Zoom meeting you have!
Right-click the image then save as to your computer. Open your Zoom application and update your background to the file you saved from this page.
As you complete activities, please post pictures to SOMD Virtual Movement Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2863037773816713) using hashtags #InclusiveHealth and #SOMDNationalRunningDay. If you’re using Instagram or Twitter, please tag @SPOlympicsMD and #SOMDNationalRunningDay. No Social Media? No problem? Email pictures to email@example.com for us to include in our social media!
Tag and follow us on Social!