90 Day Fit 5 Fitness Challenge
Did you know that it takes 21 days to make a habit and 90 days to make it a permanent lifestyle change? The 21/90 rule states that once you have established a habit, you can turn it into a lifestyle change by completing your established goals for 90 Days.
Special Olympics Maryland Challenges you to a 90 Day Fit 5 Fitness Challenge designed to encourage athletes to create a healthier lifestyle by meeting their physical activity, nutrition, and hydration goals for 90 days. Participants will track their progress using the above-linked activity logs and post accomplishments on social media. The 90 Day Fitness Challenge is appropriate for all ages, and abilities because you are tracking your own fitness and nutrition goals! This challenge gives participants the opportunity to set their own goals while determining how they want to achieve each goal. All SOMD athletes are welcome to join us on this 90 Day Challenge starting Saturday, September 23 going until Thursday, December 21.
Exercise 5 Days a Week
You can become a better athlete by enjoying physical activity outside of your sports practice. There are many ways to be physically active. Certain exercises can help you improve the skills needed for your sport.
Eat 5 Fruits & Vegetables
Focusing on eating 5 fruits and vegetables a day have you on track. Eating right is important to your health and your sports performance. Eating right can be easy because there are many delicious healthy choices.
Drink 5 Bottles of Water
Water is another important fuel for sports and for life. Drinking the right amount of water is important for your health and can also help your athletic performance. Drinking 5 bottles of water will satisfy your daily needs.
How to Register
Step 1 – Register by visiting this LINK (Information that you’ll need: Participants Name, Email/ Contact Info, Age Group, and Local Program).
Physical Activity Guidelines/Recommendations
According to the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans:
- Children and adolescents ages 6 through 17 years should do 60 minutes (1 hour) or more of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity daily:
- Aerobic: Most of the 60 minutes or more per day should be either moderate- to vigorous intensity aerobic physical activity.
- Muscle-strengthening: As part of their 60 minutes or more of daily physical activity, children and adolescents should include muscle-strengthening physical activity on at least 3 days a week.
- Bone-strengthening: As part of their 60 minutes or more of daily physical activity, children and adolescents should include bone-strengthening physical activity on at least 3 days a week
- Adults should do at least 150 minutes to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes to 150 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity.
- Older adults should do multicomponent physical activity that includes balance training as well as aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities.
Need some help with your exercises? HERE are all sorts of exercises that you can use to fulfill you weekly commitments.
Eating right is important to your health and your sports performance. Eating right can be easy because there are so many delicious and healthy choices. A healthy diet includes foods and beverages from all food groups:
- Vegetables— Including broccoli, carrots, peppers, beans, squash, spinach, and salads
- Fruits– especially fresh or frozen fruit including apples, bananas, oranges, kiwi, berries
- Grains – at least half of which are whole grain. Including: brown or wild rice, whole grain bread, pasta, crackers
- Dairy – including fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, and lactose-free or fortified soy beverages and yogurts
- Meats & Beans – Protein includes lean meats, poultry, eggs, seafood; beans, peas and lentils; nuts, seeds and soy products
- Oils – including vegetable oils and oils in food such as seafood and nuts
- Water – Drink at least 5 bottles of water each day for proper hydration.
Water is another important fuel for sports and for life. Drinking the right amount of water is important for your health and can also help your athletic performance. Dehydration can happen if you lose too much water without drinking more, which can cause your body to not work as well. Dehydration of 1-2% of your body weight can decrease your sports performance. By drinking 5 bottles of water (make sure you are refilling your bottles) you will be fully hydrated and ready to perform at your best level.
SOMD Exercise Resources
You can use these below resources to fulfill your weekly exercise commitments and keep you on track with your 90 Day Fit 5 Fitness Challenge.
Our Virtual MOVEment is not just social clubs and dance parties – even though those are the fan favorites. SOMD’s Virtual MOVEment is your healthy habits resource library! We have a great library of exercises you can choose from. Just search or filter for the type of workout that you want that day and go for it! Just visit our virtual resources page.
Athletes want to perform their best at every competition. You can do this by being fit. Fit 5 is a plan for
physical activity, nutrition, and hydration. It can improve your health and fitness to make you the best athlete you can be.
Introducing a whole new way to exercise, featuring WWE Superstar Becky Lynch. Work out with these videos five times a week to help you stay fit and reach your athletic goals. Watch them in order starting with Video 1.
Follow these cards for a new and easy way to work out at home, school, practice, or the gym. These exercises allow for the flexibility of all ages and ability levels to get up and to get moving. You can use objects that you have at home.
Class is in Session! WWE Superstar Drew McIntyre takes you through 10 exercises from the Unified Fitness Kit Cards that will help improve endurance, strength, and agility. Good for a full-body workout using a variety of equipment that can get you moving. Moderate Intensity All Ability Levels 15-30 minutes.
Hip Hop Health’s mission is to deliver positive health behavior change through the transformative power of music, art and science. They have various free resources that you can use to mix up your exercises and get H.Y.P.E at Home!
BOKS is a free physical activity program for kids of all ages and abilities. Once you sign up for an account you will have access to a multitude of resources or check out their YouTube to help you get active and participate in the 90 Day Fit 5 Fitness Challenge!